Consumer Financial Services Service of the Midwest, Inc. recognizes our obligation to keep information about you secure and confidential, and we take this obligation very seriously. We are required by The Federal Financial Privacy Law to inform you about the following:
- What “nonpublic personal information” we collect about you
- With whom we share this information, and
- How we safeguard this information
How We Collect Your Personal Information
In the course of providing our services to you we collect and maintain nonpublic personal information about you that is provided to us by you or obtained by us from third parties with your authorization from the following sources:
- What you told us when we scheduled your appointment, including your name, address, telephone and social security number
- What you filled out or discussed with your counselor during your counseling session, which includes your creditors’ names and addresses, the amounts you owe your creditors and their account numbers, credit card account information, and your living expenses. This may also include information that we received from a consumer reporting agency if you signed a release permitting us to obtain your credit report
- Data from the creditor statements that you provide to us and from creditors that we contact on your behalf with your authorization
- Data that you enter into our interactive Internet forms and programs
- Information contained in emails, letters and other written correspondence from you
- Information that you verbally share with us on the phone or in person.
With Whom We Share Your Personal Information
For both current and former clients, we do not share your personal information with anyone else except (1) your creditors, (2) as required or permitted by law, or (3) if you specifically request in writing that we do. The information shared with your creditors is limited to the information needed to process the terms of your Debt Management Program. Permitted disclosures may include providing information in limited circumstances to unrelated third parties who need to know that information to assist us in providing services to you.
If you receive counseling from us relating to housing issues, we may share pertinent information with funding sources for reporting and billing purposes. Funding may come from the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), AARP Reverse Mortgage Education Project or the NFCC (National Foundation for Financial Services). Other funding sources may include other government sources or lenders.
We may share certain de-identified or aggregate data that is based on or derived from your personal information, for research, reporting or other permitted purposes. However, all personally identifiable information about you is removed before any such aggregate information is shared.
Credit Card Information
You may provide us with your credit card information, via the Internet, on the phone or in person, when purchasing a product or service from us. We use such credit card information to complete the sale and payment processes, and then we destroy the credit card information that is no longer needed (such as the credit card number and expiration date). Records regarding the products or services purchased and the purchase receipts are retained along with our other standard records.
Safeguarding Your Personal Information
We retain records for three years relating to the services that we provide so that we are better able to assist you with your counseling needs. We maintain physical, electronic and procedural safeguards such as: file encryption, password protection and secure network topology to guard this information. Physical access to files containing personal information is restricted and controlled.
To Opt Out of Having Your Information Shared
If you have previously authorized us to share any of your personal information, and you no longer wish for us to share such information, you may opt out of having us share such information in the future. To opt out, please call our customer service department at 800.355.2227 or write to: Apprisen, 4500 E. Broad St., Columbus, Ohio 43213.
To Get More Information
If you have questions about this or any matter, please contact our customer services department at 800.355.2227 and one of our representatives will be happy to assist you.